Urban Sprawl 3 ...It's here(in the store...no really..go see)!...(Commercial)

Comments

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2016

I was trying to export the blocks as OBJ file to use in another program.  All the textures export great except for the "roadtile" material.  Any suggestions on how to get this to export with the road decals included?

Have the same problem in Carrara as seen by my render above.

Looking at the mapping in Studio to Carrara to see what it stripped

I was able to find a very easy workaround for not being able to export the road texture with the OBJ files.  The trick was to simply render each block's street from a top view at 5000x5000 and then apply that render to a plane's material. Then I just needed to give it a little bump map. That's the nice thing about the way Stonemason set up these blocks, they are flat and made to tile, so it makes things so much easier.  I could also put in a car model and animate it by a simple expression on the z positon.  I originally rendered it at 15 sec of animation, but decided that half that time was better.  Both versions are included in the sample below.  

Here is the quick test animation of the conversion results.  It's a 5x5 grid of the 5 blocks animated in After effects via the Element 3D v2 Plug-in.  This 15 sec of animation rendered in 7 minutes at 1920x1080 @ 30fps with Fog, Motion Blur and Depth of Field settings turned on. .

Now that everything is working, it's time to animate a chase scene. Thanks Stonemason for such a great product :)

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited June 2016

These were done using the included night lighting @ 400 iso. Also a DT HDRI @ 20% or so. I am really happy with the textures, the random windows lit up and of course the great modeling. Thank you, Stonemason! So worth the money. 

Urban Sprawl 3-3.jpg
    1440 x 1152 - 462K
    Urban Sprawl 3-2.jpg
    1440 x 1152 - 480K
    Urban Sprawl 3-1.jpg
    1440 x 1152 - 394K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    genaris said:

Is anyone experiencing the "Daz Studio access violation" error that crashes studio when it starts to IRAY render with this set?    Everytime I have tried to load and Iray render 1 block, any block, it crashes after it preps scene, compiles shaders and states it is starting to render; even if i just turn on Iray render mode for the preview window, it crashes.  I loaded a scene from two days ago: a "through the forest" scene (which has over 1.5 million faces and waay more than any of the single US3 blocks I tried to render singly) and it loaded back up and rendered without error, as did any other existing scene I tried.

I've been getting it periodically too, but with 3Delight.  It's not even when I try to render, just as I'm working on a scene.  I learned to save often.  I've never gotten this error before, only when using US3, but I can't say for certain that's the issue, so I just go with it.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    Stryder87 said:
    genaris said:

Is anyone experiencing the "Daz Studio access violation" error that crashes studio when it starts to IRAY render with this set?    Everytime I have tried to load and Iray render 1 block, any block, it crashes after it preps scene, compiles shaders and states it is starting to render; even if i just turn on Iray render mode for the preview window, it crashes.  I loaded a scene from two days ago: a "through the forest" scene (which has over 1.5 million faces and waay more than any of the single US3 blocks I tried to render singly) and it loaded back up and rendered without error, as did any other existing scene I tried.

I've been getting it periodically too, but with 3Delight.  It's not even when I try to render, just as I'm working on a scene.  I learned to save often.  I've never gotten this error before, only when using US3, but I can't say for certain that's the issue, so I just go with it.

Hi Stryder! Are you using Daz Studio 4.8 or Daz Studio 4.9 ?  I'm wondering if maybe there's something about US3 that is feature or code-dependant on 4.9 maybe?

Anybody been rendering US3 with 4.8 without issues?

• genaris said:
    Stryder87 said:
    genaris said:

Hi Stryder! Are you using Daz Studio 4.8 or Daz Studio 4.9 ?  I'm wondering if maybe there's something about US3 that is feature or code-dependant on 4.9 maybe?

4.8's Iray had a bug that would do that with certain models. Turning off the CPU, I think, is a workaround but the only fix is 4.9

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I was trying to export the blocks as OBJ file to use in another program.  All the textures export great except for the "roadtile" material.  Any suggestions on how to get this to export with the road decals included?

Have the same problem in Carrara as seen by my render above.

Looking at the mapping in Studio to Carrara to see what it stripped

I was able to find a very easy workaround for not being able to export the road texture with the OBJ files.  The trick was to simply render each block's street from a top view at 5000x5000 and then apply that render to a plane's material. Then I just needed to give it a little bump map. That's the nice thing about the way Stonemason set up these blocks, they are flat and made to tile, so it makes things so much easier.  I could also put in a car model and animate it by a simple expression on the z positon.  I originally rendered it at 15 sec of animation, but decided that half that time was better.  Both versions are included in the sample below.  

Here is the quick test animation of the conversion results.  It's a 5x5 grid of the 5 blocks animated in After effects via the Element 3D v2 Plug-in.  This 15 sec of animation rendered in 7 minutes at 1920x1080 @ 30fps with Fog, Motion Blur and Depth of Field settings turned on. .

Now that everything is working, it's time to animate a chase scene. :)

Thanks Now I will try to fix the set for me.

I was noticing that the way the shaders are set up using the layers and think that Carrara may not be translating them correctly. I will look at rebuilding them using the original materials.

Must look at the layer Shader in Carrara manual again and watch PhilW's tutorials again.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

I am so ashamed. I am so weak. I caved in to my weakness,  I tired, But I could not resist, Resistance was futile. and my credit card took the hit. But it was sooo worth it.

Thank you stonemason for another great set. I know I will get tons of use from it.

genaris said:
    Stryder87 said:

I'm running v4.8 and 3Delight.  I haven't had it crash when I do a full render, but so far it's about 75% of the time when I try to do a spot render.  For some reason, spot renders seem to really push my system.  I've started using full renders and stoping them when it gets good enough to see the area I'm wanting to check on.  However, after doing that 4 or 5 times, I can expect Daz to crash at any time as stopping a full render mid-stream seems to keep resources locked up and won't release them so my system grinds down after a while.

edited June 2016

Thank you, Richard Haseltine :) for your tip about turning off the Cpu and trying Iray rendering with GPU only to workaround the access violation crash at Render time!  YIPPEE, it worked for me- I loaded the Urban sprawl scene file I had created before and it rendered normally, no crash.  :)

Stryder87,  looks like you'll have to keep playing roulette with the crashes or update to studio 4.9 since you are rendering with 3dl engine-

Loving Urban Sprawl 3, so many great places to frame for scenes,  and it looks wonderful.  I like that there's architectural style and age variety in the buildings like most real cities. Happy I bought!!

Post edited by genaris on
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167

I'm really liking this set - barely scratched the surface of all the possibilities yet!

Here's one with three instances of block 1, then put through a 'sketch' filter/algorithm I wrote in Gimp Python - actually took longer than the render! I must figure out how to do compiled filters ...

US3test2 stroke9f.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 336K

Well that was weird.  I went to open my Dragon scene I'm working on with US3 and it crashed Daz.  Daz itself started fine, but when I tried to open the scene I got "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000DF4B4062, DzVertexMap::getMapIndex()+50 byte(s)".  I tried a second time, same thing.  I Started Daz again and opened a different scene and it loaded fine.  I cleared it and went to open my dragon scene and it loaded ok.  I hate weirdness like that!

Czexana said:

I'm really liking this set - barely scratched the surface of all the possibilities yet!

Here's one with three instances of block 1, then put through a 'sketch' filter/algorithm I wrote in Gimp Python - actually took longer than the render! I must figure out how to do compiled filters ...

OMG, Czexana, that's wonderful!   It has a nice, gestural style, painterly, but still has disciplined details.  Very nice.  Do you plan to sell or distribute your homebrew filter?

-Gen

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    Stryder87 said:

Well that was weird.  I went to open my Dragon scene I'm working on with US3 and it crashed Daz.  Daz itself started fine, but when I tried to open the scene I got "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000DF4B4062, DzVertexMap::getMapIndex()+50 byte(s)".  I tried a second time, same thing.  I Started Daz again and opened a different scene and it loaded fine.  I cleared it and went to open my dragon scene and it loaded ok.  I hate weirdness like that!

been a lot of that kind of weirdness lately I've had a few different glitches myself every now and again too

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2016

Figured out how to do an Iray render thanks to Richard Haseltine :worship:  

Urban Sprawl 3 totally rawks!coolyes

Post edited by Chohole on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Maybe I missed an explanation, but: there doesn't seem to be an empty ground (i.e., street and sidewalk) prop.  This makes the individual buildings less useful.  Have I overlooked something (as usual)?

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited June 2016

So, the camera is at the edge of block 1 and Vicky is about halfway down block 5 in front of a building, with the othe blocks in between.

According to the measuring tape tool, thats about 1,427' 6" (about a quarter mile)

Does that sound right? (42,000 DS Units, but I can't find the conversion right now)

edit better picture

LOng Street.jpg
    500 x 500 - 214K
    Long Street2.jpg
    541 x 700 - 286K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

Urban Sprawl 3 has no night materials for 3delight, but it has excellent surface groupings which made it easier to rework this for some extra detail in the foreground.

UFO Sprawl 11.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited June 2016

Urban Sprawl 3 has no night materials for 3delight, but it has excellent surface groupings which made it easier to rework this for some extra detail in the foreground.

Post edited by 3delinquent on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2016

That fog looks nice!

Would anyone share specifics (transition coordinates) on a "feels good" placement of the 5 blocks? 

Don't worry too much about getting use from this fantastic model if think your machine isn't up to the task.  I have an ancient (2010) iMac with 8 GB of RAM and no Nvidia GPU...  Here's a simple test render.  Lacking a Japanese movie monster here's the walk of the ninety foot woman.  It took about nine hours to get to a good enough state.

A fantastic product!

Post edited by Marshian on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

If you are having trouble getting stuff rendered with fog and such, I highly suggest using a distance canvas and faking it in Photoshop (or similar).

Ok, it's not exactly what I wanted, but it's close enough!

Dragons in Urban Sprawl 3!

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/166061/

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Mix of things, including callback to another Stonemason product. ;)

Mostly PWToon in 3DL

Proto and the night time cityp.png
    1748 x 1080 - 2M

Yeah, I've got that one too Will! Some of the stuff you do with PWToon is great. I like the city crawling with dragons idea too, nice one Stryder.

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited June 2016
    Marshian said:

That fog looks nice!

Would anyone share specifics (transition coordinates) on a "feels good" placement of the 5 blocks? 

Don't worry too much about getting use from this fantastic model if think your machine isn't up to the task.  I have an ancient (2010) iMac with 8 GB of RAM and no Nvidia GPU...  Here's a simple test render.  Lacking a Japanese movie monster here's the walk of the ninety foot woman.  It took about nine hours to get to a good enough state.

A fantastic product!

Yeah, I really liked how the old urban sprawl blocks loaded relative to each other.  That these all load in right on top of each other and centered seems to add a lot of unnecessary setup time.

Post edited by JoeQuick on

I read somewhere that the US3 blocks are 9500 Daz Studio Units square,  that's helpful info for setting up the blocks more quickly by typing in the desired values to line up the squares in 1 step instead of dragging or dial spinning ...slowly...while things are trying to update.... 

For 2cents worth of the other viewpoint... since the blocks are so large, I imagine people will often want the option of just using 1 so it may be useful that they load in at Zero. But a preset to "snap/load" them into arrangements of varying numbers of blocks would definitely be a plus. But I guess once you have done that arranging manually the first time, you can save presets yourself and it's easy living the next time.

I can imagine lots of opportunities for PAs to create 3rd-party add-ons and extensions to this set, like go-to poses, cameras, load presets, set dressing accessories and even some alternate buildings made to fit the space of a specific building in a block maybe. (I'd be interested in a modern multilevel car garage, myself).  There's "No parking, except double-parking!" my characters complain about the city.  ; O

-Gen

JoeQuick said:
    Marshian said:

That fog looks nice!

A fantastic product!

Yeah, I really liked how the old urban sprawl blocks loaded relative to each other.  That these all load in right on top of each other and centered seems to add a lot of unnecessary setup time.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2016
    Marshian said:

That fog looks nice!

I'm not sure how to describe transition coordinates. All of the blocks come in centered at 0-0-0 on the grid. Any one block covers more than the entire X-Z coordinate space on the default workspace grid. That threw me really badly at first until I accidentally spun things around in a way that let me see underneath the block to realize that the edges of the block were all beyond the grid edges.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited June 2016
    vwrangler said:
    Marshian said:

That fog looks nice!

For a really long street

1) load all five blocks

2) leave the middle block alone

3) move one block to x = 9500

4) another to x= 19000

5) a fourth to x =  -9500

6) the fifth to x = -19000

7) if you want a really long street look at each from above and rotate the ones that block the way 90 degrees (Y) or switch them to the end positions so the camera won see blanks at the end. Positioned in the x axis, there are two blocks, that block streets.

edited for picture and lousy spelling

Long City.jpg
    800 x 640 - 161K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited June 2016

Any suggestions for low polygon people for the streets?

I just purchased Predatron's Lorenzo and Loretta Bundle on sale and they work great with Urban Sparwl 3.  Renders very fast.  This sample only took 10 min to render at 1920 X 1080 with over 100 figures. 

I also tried the same scene at night. I was surprised on how slow this rendered 60 minutes vs 10 minutes for the daytime version.  And still some fireflies.

crowdControl01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 153K
    crowdControl02.jpg
    960 x 540 - 95K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I just purchased Predatron's Lorenzo and Loretta Bundle on sale and they work great with Urban Sparwl 3.  Renders very fast.  This sample only took 10 min to render at 1920 X 1080 with over 100 figures. 

Hey Joe, have you tested those Lorez figs with aniblocks yet? I'm thinking about getting them but wondering if they're rigged to work with aniblocks.

Hey Joe, have you tested those Lorez figs with aniblocks yet? I'm thinking about getting them but wondering if they're rigged to work with aniblocks.

I played a little with the Lorez figures with aniniblocks (nothing final yet).  They looked like the worked really good.  The appear like they work with the defaul aniblocks (M4, V4?) without any adjustment.  My next experiment was going to be using them to get the crowds walking (easier said than done with a lot of figures).