Urban Sprawl 3 ...It's here(in the store...no really..go see)!...(Commercial)

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2016

Any suggestions for low polygon people for the streets?

I just purchased Predatron's Lorenzo and Loretta Bundle on sale and they work great with Urban Sparwl 3.  Renders very fast.  This sample only took 10 min to render at 1920 X 1080 with over 100 figures. 

Hey Joe, have you tested those Lorez figs with aniblocks yet? I'm thinking about getting them but wondering if they're rigged to work with aniblocks.

I played a little with the Lorez figures with aniniblocks (nothing final yet).  They looked like the worked really good.  The appear like they work with the defaul aniblocks (M4, V4?) without any adjustment.  My next experiment was going to be using them to get the crowds walking (easier said than done with a lot of figures).

If I recall correctly they came out about the time of M4 / V4 so the bone structure should be similar and therefore the M4/V4 poses and aniblocks should work really well.

Joe was that rendered in Studio or Carrara?

Post edited by chickenman on
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2016

I just purchased Predatron's Lorenzo and Loretta Bundle on sale and they work great with Urban Sparwl 3.  Renders very fast.  This sample only took 10 min to render at 1920 X 1080 with over 100 figures. 

Hey Joe, have you tested those Lorez figs with aniblocks yet? I'm thinking about getting them but wondering if they're rigged to work with aniblocks.

I played a little with the Lorez figures with aniniblocks (nothing final yet).  They looked like the worked really good.  The appear like they work with the defaul aniblocks (M4, V4?) without any adjustment.  My next experiment was going to be using them to get the crowds walking (easier said than done with a lot of figures).

If I recall correctly they came out about the time of M4 / V4 so the bone structure should be similar and therefore the M4/V4 poses and aniblocks should work really well.

Joe was that rendered in Studio or Carrara?

Thanks for the info Chickenman,

I made the crowd in Carrara using the surface replicator and then exported them as a OBJ file into DAZ Studio.  I made two groups for the two different street layouts. Unfortunately the woman's shaders didn't transfer some reason, so there are a bunch of black shirts.  Then the images were rendered with Iray and DAZ Studio.  

Thanks again Sonemason, love that you provided materials for both day and night. :)

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on

I still have not had time to work on the road shaders which are the only shaders I seem to have aproblem with in Carrara. When I get time it looks like I will have to try to rebuild them for the maps comparing Studio 3dl version and carrara to ensure everything is the same as possible. Long tedious project.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    edited July 2016

I also tried the same scene at night. I was surprised on how slow this rendered 60 minutes vs 10 minutes for the daytime version.  And still some fireflies.

Joepingleton, that's amazing with all the figures and the neat camera angle.  How much memory does your GPU card have (or were you rendering by CPU)?  

Slower night time renders: yeah, apparently in Iray, less light(s) mean longer renders and more noise, as with cameras.  I love night time, and love to do nighttime renders with great mood and interesting light effects but they are often  v e  r   y       s      l      o     w.        

-Gen

Post edited by genaris on
    edited July 2016

Really loving Urban Sprawl 3 - who knows how long it will take to explore the whole thing!   LOTS of LOVE for Stonemason doing day AND night versions. Night is so moody and mysterious and ripe for exploring cool lighting effects but not that many PAs make night specific stuff.  

Here's a night time mood piece set at N 72nd and Easy Street intersection of US3 Block 4.  I used Iray EnviroCam and various wet, water, splash products (I listed most things used on gallery page).

Click the thumbnail to get larger image & click that one to zoom it to largest view to best see the image...

-Gen

CLICK to SEE LARGER VIEW to see this best!

Here is a post I have cut over from the Carrara forum on how to fix the textures for use in Carrara.

BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 290

June 30 edited June 30 Flag

I finally got back to trying Urban Sprawl 3 in Carrara and after incorporating most of what has been posted here I think I've got it all working. Here's a bunch of pictures and screen shots showing what I did.

First I loaded the 3Delight version of Block 1. That's the first render. I used Frnric's Shader Doctor to clean up the shaders. It does a good job, but additional tweaking is necessary. That's the second render. You'll notice that some of the textures don't look right. That's because the uv's need to be fixed. Double click a building (or click on the wrench) to go into the modeling room. Select the whole building. I use command-A on a Mac. Select the UV editing mode by clicking on the icon in the top right hand corner. Untick Wrap U values. There's a screen shot showing this and the fourth rende is the result. The road still doesn't look right. A couple of things are needed to fix that. Edit the Roadtile textile. The screen shot shows what it looks like in the texture editor. The problem is that the U3Road3 image needs to be tiled. I used a 100x100. I haven't tried a close up render. You may have to play with the tiling to get it to look correct. It looked better, but the road was a little too light for me so I added multiply to the texture image and added a dark grey. The grey can be changed to get the road the right color. That's the fourth render. Now to get the white lines and the cross walks onto the road go to the RoadTile shader again. Go the Top Shader, use the drop down menu (showing Multi Channel) and change that to Complex Shader-> Multi Channel Mixer. The road texture should be in Source 1. I used a whate plastic for Source 2. Just drag it from the Shaders window at the bottom onto Source 2. Now for the Blender at the bottom choose Texture Map. Select u3RoadMask1A3dl for the teture. This worked for Block 1. You might need to try another one for other blocks. I haven't tried yet. I've included a screen shot of the entire shader tree. and the fifth render shows the lines in the correct places. For the Sixth render I added a second light, turned soft shadows on for the first light and also used ambient occlusion. It looks pretty good. I tried the same process starting with the Iray Block 1 and I think that looks a little better than the 3Delight one. Normally I use 3Delight versions in Carrara, but after doing this I'm going to have to do more experimenting. I'm also going to go back and adjust some shaders. Adding reflections to the windows make things look a bit more realistic. Hope this helps. 

I just added a close up higher resolution render. Still looks good. 

imageimage

3Delight as loaded.png

640 x 480 - 491K

imageimage

Fenric Shader doctor.png

640 x 480 - 501K

imageimage

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 9.07.49 PM.png

1687 x 939 - 361K

imageimage

Untick UV Values.png

640 x 480 - 503K

imageimage

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 9.12.01 PM.png

760 x 435 - 124K

imageimage

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 9.13.15 PM.png

402 x 459 - 72K

imageimage

Vhanged Road shader.png

640 x 480 - 423K

imageimage

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 9.25.49 PM.png

749 x 844 - 174K

imageimage

Road Blender.png

640 x 480 - 440K

imageimage

New Lights.png

640 x 480 - 460K

imageimage

Iray.png

640 x 480 - 478K

imageimage

Two Lights Close.png

1333 x 1000 - 2M

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited July 2016
    genaris said:

I also tried the same scene at night. I was surprised on how slow this rendered 60 minutes vs 10 minutes for the daytime version.  And still some fireflies.

Joepingleton, that's amazing with all the figures and the neat camera angle.  How much memory does your GPU card have (or were you rendering by CPU)?  

Slower night time renders: yeah, apparently in Iray, less light(s) mean longer renders and more noise, as with cameras.  I love night time, and love to do nighttime renders with great mood and interesting light effects but they are often  v e  r   y       s      l      o     w.        

-Gen

Thanks for the kind words,

I am using a Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 card and was rendering in GPU only. 

I also discovered that the Micheal 4 and Victoria 4 models have low resolution versions included that are smaller than the Lorenzo and Loretta figures (The low res M4 & V4 have no clothes compared to Lorenzo and Loretta).  More info can be found in this forum post [ http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/98161/lorenzo-posing-question-now-create-lowrez-ma-v4 ].

PS. Great render love the atmosphere and the rain.

Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited July 2016

@ Joepingleton: wow- I'm amazed and happy to hear you rendered your scene GPU only - the gtx 970 is a 4gb card (like my card, except yours has more cuda cores than mine) -- I feared that with all those figures plus the US3 block(s) that your scene would be needing crazy GPU ram like 12 or 16gb!  Reassures me that I don't have to be as worried about limits in my scenes as I have been. (cause CPU only is just too excruciatingly slow for any large size renders, IMHO).

Thanks for the nice comments about my image I posted, BTW :)

-Gen

• Is there any update on when the OBJ files will be available?

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649

I love this set!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    luci45 said:

I love this set!

You got those poses just right. I especially like the man sitting on the far left. He looks very natural and relaxed. This is a great scene.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    luci45 said:

I love this set!

captured a real life type looking scene lots of storie here

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Hah! Angelreaper is messing with you; that's a photo of me & a coworker outside of a local anime con!  Pft; render indeed!

;)

--  Morgan

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

so it was you Morgan following all the cosplay ladies with the camera

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382

Stonemason STOP makin' me buy stuff!

• Still no word yet on adding the obj files to the package?

• Is this pack going to get updated with the obj files? We purchased it for our project after being told in this thread by the creartor that obj files were going to be added in to it.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

I sent the obj's in last week..will find out when they will be added to downloads,thanks

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

is Unity able to handle this ?

would be nice to walk through those streets

Is this pack going to get updated with the obj files? We purchased it for our project after being told in this thread by the creartor that obj files were going to be added in to it.

they should be going out in the next batch..a day or two away.

I must say though the best option is to just use DAZ Studio, that's what my content is made for,that's what the promo images show,for most of my sets your not getting what you see in the promos if you just download obj's..your missing all the instanced geometry,which in some of my recent sets accounts for 90% of whats included,where my promo images show a dense forest scene in DAZ Studio with an obj import you'll only get a terrain with 2 or 3 trees(instances don't export)..your also missing any advanced shading that items have,terrain is a good example where I use a multi layer shader blended with masking..and again,that kind of thing won't export

Ruphuss said:

is Unity able to handle this ?

would be nice to walk through those streets

yea i had one of the blocks in Unity a while ago,looked okay when viewed in VR with the Vive,it was exported as fbx from DAZ Studio

• Thank you for the update.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

What is Urban Sprawl 3 OBJ for?   Is it for using it in Poser or something?  if I use that, how do I add the textures?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The OBJ files are for use in other 3D programs that support OBJ files (most of them). You don't need the OBJ files for Studio. 

What is Urban Sprawl 3 OBJ for?   Is it for using it in Poser or something?  if I use that, how do I add the textures?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    fastbike1 said:

The OBJ files are for use in other 3D programs that support OBJ files (most of them). You don't need the OBJ files for Studio. 

I was wondering about putting it in Poser pro 11.  I understand about the fact there are native files for Studio.

•  

fastbike1 said:

I was wondering about putting it in Poser pro 11.  I understand about the fact there are native files for Studio.

It's not easy but it is doable.  The first thing you need is D3D's DSON loader Script.  That will allow you to load Daz Studio content into poser without the need for poser companion files.  To get the basic setup I used the script to load the 3delight version of Urban Sprawl 3 to get the basic textures and the instanced props.  The first thing you will notice is that the street has no texture.  You will have to make a shader for that yourself using the textures included with Urban Sprawl 3.  Fortunately Nagra has graciously put one out there already if you don't want to do it yourself.  At this point the city is ok to use with FireFly.  However if you want the advanced shading including multi-layer blending with masking that Stonemason mentioned above you have to make those shaders yourself, and it can only be done in with SuperFly not FireFly.  Most of the shaders are pretty simple to make using the physical root node and the textures and masks provided with Urban Sprawl 3.  Once I made all of the shaders and got the city to look how I wanted it I saved the individual blocks as figures in my Poser runtime so I could use them in the future without the need for the DSON loader.  If you choose to go this route there are some things to keep in mind.  First the DSON loader script will not work unless you have the DSON importer found on this site is installed.  The second thing to remember is that the runtime folder that contains the daz content must be add to your list of runtimes in poser for the DSON loader script to work properly.  This has to be done even though most of the time the only thing in the runtime folder for daz content is textures.  The third and final thing is that it's best to keep daz content in it's own folder all installed in the default location.

This is not the only route to get Urban Sprawl 3 into poser, but it's the one I used since at the time I purchased Urban Spraw 3 the obj files weren't available.  Since Stonemason went through the trouble of adding the obj files I will find a use for them.  By the way if you read this Stonemason I really apreciate you adding the obj files.

I hope somewhere in all of my rambling I have answered your questions about getting Urban Sprawl 3 into poser.   If you decide to do it I wish you the best of luck with it. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515

...just heard the news about the quake.  Hope you and everyone there are OK.

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    edited November 2016

Just took a little stroll through Urban Sprawl 3, Block 5 and found some interesting little gems.  I wonder what other 'easter eggs' the other ones hold.  laugh

Gem 1 - Nice nod to Back to the Future!

Gem 2 - One man, alone.... (Transformers 2)

Gem 3 - Lots of those around these days.....

US5 - Gem 1.jpg
    890 x 682 - 201K
    US5 - Gem 2.jpg
    597 x 746 - 150K
    US5 - Gem 3.jpg
    978 x 751 - 227K
    Post edited by Stryder87 on