Can you convert 3Delight Skydomes to Iray?

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

If so, is there a step by step explanation of how?

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Could you walk me thru it like I am an idiot? ....cause.... I am. :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited May 2017

All the settings I use are in the posts on that thread, there isn't really anything more to add other than not all Skydomes react the same and there are tweaks I do but these are render by render related so a step by step wouldn't really work :)

The settings on the right of this image are my basic start settings for the Skydome surface.

Click on image for full size.

skydome-settings-001.jpg
    923 x 592 - 231K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited May 2017

I am pretty sure all you would need is access to the skydome diffuse image itself. You would simply input this image into the Iray environment in render settings. Or, if you have a mesh skydome in your scene, you would go to its surface settings, and apply the diffuse image to the base color and emissive channel, and set your luminance to about 40k lumens.

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on

I am pretty sure all you would need is access to the skydome diffuse image itself. You would simply input this image into the Iray environment in render settings. Or, if you have a mesh skydome in your scene, you would go to its surface settings, and apply the diffuse image to the base color and emissive channel, and set your luminance to about 40k lumens.

-P

Thank you, sir. I will try this when I get home. :)

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I converted some a few months ago, my notes begin here on my art thread

Llynara said:

Llynara? You are a queen. Just for this, I am making you a Goddess in my RPG. What did you want to be goddess of? :)

SKY GODDESS! How perfect! Would that work for you? :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    ...the issue I have with skydomes in Iray is they block the Iray "sun". This means having to substitute a photometric distant light which is not as physically accurate as the Iray sun. It is sad that we cannot get other sky environments that work with the Iray Sun/Sky setting.
    kyoto kid said:
    ...the issue I have with skydomes in Iray is they block the Iray "sun". This means having to substitute a photometric distant light which is not as physically accurate as the Iray sun. It is sad that we cannot get other sky environments that work with the Iray Sun/Sky setting.

I have a few renders using Yosemite and Stonemasons Winter skydomes with Sun and Sky and also some using a Distant Light. Put the .jpg into the Cutout option and in Lie use Greyscale from Luminosity, sometimes using Invert too can change the effect.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Oh yes! I could definitely do the sky goddess thing! (Plus I've got like 37 pairs of wings in my runtime! LOL)

RKane_1 said:
    Llynara said:

Llynara? You are a queen. Just for this, I am making you a Goddess in my RPG. What did you want to be goddess of? :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited July 2017
    Fishtales said:
    kyoto kid said:

I have a few renders using Yosemite and Stonemasons Winter skydomes with Sun and Sky and also some using a Distant Light. Put the .jpg into the Cutout option and in Lie use Greyscale from Luminosity, sometimes using Invert too can change the effect.

...but the LIE slows load times and photometric distant lights are not as physically accurate as the Iray sun. I also like building my own environments as HDRIs are basically 360° "stock" photo backdrops.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on

I just use what I have and adjust things as needed. I have no idea if LIE slows things down or not, using cpu is slow anyway, but it works. Some HDRI I  use as backdrops, which render realy fast, others only for lighting or to fill in the backgound. I also use my own pictures as backgrouds which also helps with render speed. I have lots of environment sets I use too but, depending on the geometry, slows renders way down but I still use them.