Marvelous Designer Clothes in Daz Studio

Hi i have successfully got a plain T-Shirt and a Mini Dress into Daz Studio conforming to any shape but how would i be able to get a long dress conforming to the genesis shape because it goes bonkers when in a pose with a long dress. I have searched forums and have come across this but they didn't get any thing from the post. I have watched a tutorial with someone explaining the animation with daz studio and marvelous designer but thats not what i am trying to do. I'm trying to make the clothes just like the people that sell clothes do but using marvelous designer and photoshop. I have seen people using marvelous designer with daz studio but have not come across tutorials about it. I have been looking for ages but if i have missed a tutorial about this please point me in the right direction.

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited September 2015

You need to add movement handle to long skirts to be able to pose them. Sickleyield has some items for G2M in the Daz shop which does this for you or you can add your own.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • Wilmap said:

You need to add movement handle to long skirts to be able to pose them. Sickleyield has some items for G2M in the Daz shop which does this for you or you can add your own.

Or just good old bones would work.

But Miss Big, making the clothes is the easy part. Rigging them is the harder part. If you know how to make clothes in MD, you already know how to make them for DS characters. The difference is rigging them (if you plan to share them).

• miss bigmiss big Posts: 27
    edited September 2015

Oh ok thanks for comments i do have the ds 4 ghost bones item but havent entirely worked that out yet so i think i will have to look that one up. I don't know much about rigging but have got some tuts there about that but they don't go into the clothes part though. I should point out i am still learning MD for more complex items.

Post edited by miss big on
  • Hi i did find Sickle Dress Rig Genesis 2 Female, so is this the one you mean because i don't have this one and the images on that page is what my dress was doing on the gen2female.

• miss big said:

Oh ok thanks for comments i do have the ds 4 ghost bones item but havent entirely worked that out yet so i think i will have to look that one up. I don't know much about rigging but have got some tuts there about that but they don't go into the clothes part though. I should point out i am still learning MD for more complex items.

Well there are tutorials specifically on how to use DS to auto rig clothes, and that would be your strating point. Learn how to do that, then expand on it with more complex solutions.

here is one document, there are some others, and lots of info in the forums.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/modeling/tutorials/creating_clothing_against_genesis_morph_shape/start

• Thanks for the comment i will try that tutorial for a long dress. I did go through that for the mini dress and it worked out quiet good but i will try that for a long dress.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    miss big said:

Hi i did find Sickle Dress Rig Genesis 2 Female, so is this the one you mean because i don't have this one and the images on that page is what my dress was doing on the gen2female.

Yes that's the one. Easy to use.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    miss big said:

Thanks for the comment i will try that tutorial for a long dress. I did go through that for the mini dress and it worked out quiet good but i will try that for a long dress.

Well once you figure out how to work a short dress or pants, then yes you start this and see what is wrong. From there you find how to improve the dress. There are several ways to go about it. Just some examples

Someone mentioned products sold to give you dress rigs. I've used these in the past, and they may work for you.

For your own personal clothes it's simple enough to take the default rigged bones for the dress and rename them.  The dress will have left leg, left shin etc when you use the auto rigging. Rename those to something else. Delete the toe bones. Save as a figure asset. Close DS, Reopen. Now those newly named bones will not follow the figure. It's rough and dirty, it does leave something to be desired.

Again for clothes for personal use, I use the MFD as a source for rigging dresses. the MFD already has 4 bones to move a dress around nicely.  (Originally from a PC club thread comment I made)

------------------------------------------------------

Since the MFD has those extra bones for control it is way better than most dresses that are linked to the models bones. You need the proper generation MFD for this to work. So for G2F, the G2F MFD. But the target dress can be anything that will work via autofit.

1. Dial out any morphs your character has (zero the shape/pose). You can dial them in later. This will save you tons of steps in the transfer process, and I won't document the other route.(if you made a custom dress that fit a specific figure shape, then those extra steps would be required.)
    2. Load the MFD to the scene as well as the target dress.
    3. Fit the target dress to the character. In the case of an older generation dress, say Genesis 1, you want to use on Genesis 2, first auto fit the dress to G2F like normal. Then follow the next steps.
    4. Launch the transfer utility. Its the icon that looks like a circle with an arrow flying out of it into a hollow circle.
    5. The important settings are Source = MFD, Target = Skirt/Dress you want to update. In the transfer options do not fit the dress to the source(this would fit the 50's dress to the MFD which I don't want).
    6. Optionally you can transfer over morphs as well(highlighted in screenshot). This should not hurt anything, but for some items the morphs from the MFD may not be very useful. But I find a lot of the time some of the morphs work well.

In my example I am using the 1950's dress that only has those two leg bones.(this one is a tight fitting one, so not the best choice, but what i have on this machine lol)

You can see from my proof screenshot that the Winston dress now has 4 leg bones instead of two. And instead of just a single BendSit morph, it now has more than a dozen.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • You know i had no idea you can even do that thankyou so much and yes this is my own personal use for now. I have been on and off with daz studio because i have been using iclone which is really good animation software. But it has only been this year of trying to learn modeling and trying to make my own content so yes some things i had no idea of. Thank you so much.

• Well once you figure out how to work a short dress or pants, then yes you start this and see what is wrong. From there you find how to improve the dress. There are several ways to go about it. Just some examples

Someone mentioned products sold to give you dress rigs. I've used these in the past, and they may work for you.

For your own personal clothes it's simple enough to take the default rigged bones for the dress and rename them.  The dress will have left leg, left shin etc when you use the auto rigging. Rename those to something else. Delete the toe bones. Save as a figure asset. Close DS, Reopen. Now those newly named bones will not follow the figure. It's rough and dirty, it does leave something to be desired.

Again for clothes for personal use, I use the MFD as a source for rigging dresses. the MFD already has 4 bones to move a dress around nicely.  (Originally from a PC club thread comment I made)

------------------------------------------------------

Since the MFD has those extra bones for control it is way better than most dresses that are linked to the models bones. You need the proper generation MFD for this to work. So for G2F, the G2F MFD. But the target dress can be anything that will work via autofit.

1. Dial out any morphs your character has (zero the shape/pose). You can dial them in later. This will save you tons of steps in the transfer process, and I won't document the other route.(if you made a custom dress that fit a specific figure shape, then those extra steps would be required.)
    2. Load the MFD to the scene as well as the target dress.
    3. Fit the target dress to the character. In the case of an older generation dress, say Genesis 1, you want to use on Genesis 2, first auto fit the dress to G2F like normal. Then follow the next steps.
    4. Launch the transfer utility. Its the icon that looks like a circle with an arrow flying out of it into a hollow circle.
    5. The important settings are Source = MFD, Target = Skirt/Dress you want to update. In the transfer options do not fit the dress to the source(this would fit the 50's dress to the MFD which I don't want).
    6. Optionally you can transfer over morphs as well(highlighted in screenshot). This should not hurt anything, but for some items the morphs from the MFD may not be very useful. But I find a lot of the time some of the morphs work well.

In my example I am using the 1950's dress that only has those two leg bones.(this one is a tight fitting one, so not the best choice, but what i have on this machine lol)

You can see from my proof screenshot that the Winston dress now has 4 leg bones instead of two. And instead of just a single BendSit morph, it now has more than a dozen.

Wow!!! It is a excellent idea. I always want set four bones in the dresses, because two is not enough, but I believed a special tool was needed to this. Thanks for share this.

• GiGi_7 said:

Wow!!! It is a excellent idea. I always want set four bones in the dresses, because two is not enough, but I believed a special tool was needed to this. Thanks for share this.

Glad I could help :) I just used this again yesterday for a dress I made. A good time saver.